Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Catchphrases, Sayings, Slangs, Words we Love

Watched a episode of "Color Splash" this weekend and the host/designer, David Bromstad, mentioned how he liked using different catchphrases and saying each season. He used, "Oh my gosh, Becky" a la Sir Mix Alot one season, and was working "I can't" and "the nerves" recently. This got me thinking about the words, sayings, and catchphrases I use in my everyday life. Is there something that just naturally comes out of my mouth? Do I over use words? Have movies, tv, celebrities influenced my slang? Do I try to make them happen? Well maybe, but I also think it's fun, kinda like talking in code.


Tim Gunn line, "Make it work" has become standard in almost every episode of Project Runway.


Designer and PR winner Christian Siriano used the terms "Fierce!" and "Hot Mess" a lot during his season. The terms were so popular that SNL featured a Christian inspired skit.


Rachel Zoe loves "bananas" and dies daily, "I diiie".


Clueless, one of my all-time favorite movies, said "Whatever" and "As if!" as if it was going out of style.


Mean Girls tried to make "Fetch" happen and I heard some people enjoy, "Boo, you whore."


Source
But my favorite catchphrases and sayings have to be those created by legendary NBA announcer, Chick Hearn. Known as Chick-isms, the best one being, "This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jigglin'!" aka the game's over. (Go Lakers!)


We've also created our own sayings and favorite words. My cousins brought pager code back from the 90s, using "40778" (holla) frequently.


And my favorite word is, of course, honey :) One friend started using it as a term of endearment in college, and it slowly morphed into the word we say in place of every other word. It has become our "like", "hello", "dude" and "whatever".

Do you have any favorite words or sayings or catchphrases? I would love to hear what is popular among everyone :)

3 comments:

little luxury list said...

Honey is always nice!

Hmm I do use "can I tell you" and "whatever" a lot. Otherwise, hmm depends on who I'm with and certain terms come out more.

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

i say seeeriously???? way too often :)

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

i say seeeriously???? way too often :)