I have two living grandparents, my maternal ones we call Lolo (grandpa in Tagalog) and Lala (Lola is grandma in Tagalog, but she wanted to be fancy). They have fifteen grandchildren and I am the second oldest. When compiling our guest list last year, I realized that they would be the only grandparents at the wedding and I would be the only grandchild whose wedding they could attend.
My grandparents live in the Philippines. Lolo is 79 and Lala will be 77 in April. They visited us plenty of times throughout the years, most recently in 2006 and again 2007. Their most recent trip was planned as probably their last to the US, until I told them I was getting married and their presence would be an honor. Now they make plans to return to the US to celebrate the wedding in what will basically be their last trip to the US.
This realization makes me both happy and sad. There is happiness in the fact that they are healthy enough to travel, have the means to travel, and are able to see a grandchild get married in their lifetime. But the sadness is the reality of their aging. Lolo and Lala's ages mean bodies that need assistance when traveling, eyes and minds not as sharp as before, and seeing just one grandchild get married in their lifetime. They have 4 grandchildren in my age group, all are currently single. Even if they were to wed over the next 10 years, 3 of the 4 live in the US and travel may not be feasible.
So I want to have a tribute to them during the ceremony or reception, similar to honoring the faithful departed, but as a celebration of their company. My head is racing with ideas. We can mention them in our ceremony programs, have a special dance with them during the reception, present them with gifts of gratitude, have orchid centerpieces (my Lala's favorite flower) and almond roca in the candy bar (my Lolo's favorite candy). Ultimately, I think the most important thing is to recognize their attendance at the wedding. And I am so thankful, blessed, and very fortunate for their presence.
Are your grandparents able to attend your wedding? Will you do something to recognize them?
Blog title is from lyrics by Christina Aguilera



No comments:
Post a Comment