Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Better together: Table Names and Numbers

It all started with this creation by the recovering lazyholic.

"You are the yellow to my purple." Simple, wedding colors, complementary, fab.

I knew I wanted to utilize the image some way during the wedding, but how. My signage bases were covered. We had everything prepped for the bar, buffet, candy, cupcakes, wish bowl. Everything but the table names/numbers.

Inspiration for table names/numbers were collecting in my head but none that I truly wanted. Then I realized this simple complementary thing would be perfect! How could you go wrong with table numbers named from things that complement each other? They are great on their own, but better together... like the hubs and myself!

Bridesmaid N and myself brainstormed complementary things and came up with a huge list of complementary nouns/ things that go together:
chocolate and peanut butter, pb&j, cake and ice cream, champagne and oj, peas and carrots, nuts and berries, whiskey ginger, salt and pepper, cheese and crackers, kobe and phil,burgers and fries, chips and dip, the captain and tennille, brangelina, ketchup and mustard, purple and gold, the birds and the bees, tom ford for gucci, bonnie and clyde, thelma and louise, james and the giant peach, jack and jill, green eggs and ham, pink ladies and t-birds, jordan and pippen, kareem and magic, chamberlin and west, phil and jeanie, bart and lisa, laurel and hardy, micky and minnie,tom and jerry, ben and jerry, bread and butter, lox and bagels, bong and a blintz, smoke and a crepe, coffee and a ciggy, tea and crumpets, chicken and waffles.

Music edition: sonny and cher, lennon and mccartney, john and yoko, sid and nancy, rhythm and lead guitar, page and plant, guns and roses, mick and keith, models and musicians, donnie and marie, diana ross and the supremes, tom petty and the heart breakers.

To narrow it down, I started to list things we enjoyed, placing them into categories so there wouldn't be an over abundance of anything (food, music, Lakers, locations). The tag line would be, "you are the ... to my ..."

Food. (All images from clip art)
You are the icing to my cupcake.
You are the bacon to my egg.
You are the french fries to my burger.
You are the wine to mt cheese.


Drink. (All images from clip art)
You are the milk to my cookies.
You are the garnish to my cocktail.


Cute Couples:
You are the Pucca to my Garu. souce

You are the roller coaster to my heart. (Image is of Angry Little Asian Girl & her bf) source


SB/college influence.
You are the Halloween to my I.V. source
You are the waves to my beach. clipart


Pop culture influence.
You are the twitter to my blackberry.
You are the Chuck to my Blair... xoxo.
source


Lakers.
You are the yellow to my purple. source
You are the World Champion Lakers to my Los Angeles.
You are the champagne to my celebration. source

I had originally wanted to use images that went with the sort of style and feeling of our inspiration. I thought we'd be able to afford a freelance/new graphic designer that could create custom images for us. This would allow for cohesiveness and fit a cartoonish/superflat/pop look we were going for. Nina of Femme Rationale was able to get me into contact with a graphic designer friend of hers and his portfolio looked great, but I soon realized that we couldn't afford custom images :( We needed too many and the budget was in no way prepared for this. Definitely a bummer but I set my sights on search for images online.

I searched Getty Images and iStock Photo which had great images but both cost money I did not want to spend. Ultimately I used clip art from Microsoft Office and a few free images I found online. Not as cohesive as originally planned, but I was fine with it.



Table Names


Table Numbers. Note the random yellow circles? We ran out of white ones, oopsies.


Scallop details :)

Both table name and number were printed on 4-inch circle labels. I mounted them on 4.25-inch scallop paper, mounted that on 5.5 x 5.5 circles, glued both name side and number side to each other, and loved the result.




At the end of the night, we were able to scoop them up and save them for scrap booking before the catering staff could throw them away.

How did you decide on table names? What is your favorite table name/number idea?



Blog title is from lyrics by Jack Johnson

10 comments:

little luxury list said...

Love, loved your choices and they were so you down to the Lakers!

Lisa said...

such an absolutely sweet idea! I love 'you're the milk to my cookies' :)

Bee @ BP Wedding said...

This is such a cute idea! I love it!

Mo said...

Such a cute idea, and they came out great despite not using a pro graphic designer. I'm also a pucca fan, that illustration is super adorable.

honey my heart said...

@Chic 'n Cheap Living: thanks, i had to add that detail in.

@Lisa: that one (and all the food ones) always made me hungry.

@Bee: thanks :)

@Mo: pucca is sooooo cute! i was considering using all pucca & garu images or doing a famous couples as table names.

Born to be Mrs. Beever said...

Oh wow...what a totally fun and unique idea. I really like it. Sounds like it was totally perfect for you two and you put it together very well :) I already blogged about my table numbers ages ago (or so it seems). We just went with numbers but made them out of photos of us and picture frames that we converted into luminaries :)

Anonymous said...

Um, those are absolutely awesome. I would have gotten a huge kick out of going around to all the tables to see them!

The Professional Bridesmaid said...

Ok, seriously, you're a genius. I love it.

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

OMG that was a brilliant idea! I think that the images worked well together too. It all looked great!

We named our tables after some of our favorite travel destinations. Had the calligrapher write the names out and then we place a photo of us at the destination in a frame on the table.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://nike-shoes-high-tops-kids.nikego8.com]nike shoes high tops kids[/url]
[url=http://air-jordan-3-slides.nikego8.com]air jordan 3 slides[/url]
[url=http://asics-running-shoes-nz.nikego8.com]asics running shoes nz[/url]
[url=http://new-nike-running-shoes-for-women.nikego8.com]new nike running shoes for women[/url]
[url=http://air-jordan-7-retro-j2k.nikego8.com]air jordan 7 retro j2k[/url]
[url=http://nike-air-max-lebron-9-low.nikego8.com]nike air max lebron 9 low[/url]
[url=http://nike-lebron-9-id-foamposite.nikego8.com]nike lebron 9 id foamposite[/url]
[url=http://nike-air-jordan-3-stealth.nikego8.com]nike air jordan 3 stealth[/url]
[url=http://nike-jordan-10-retro.nikego8.com]nike jordan 10 retro[/url]
[url=http://black-and-grey-nike-shoes.nikego8.com]black and grey nike shoes[/url]