Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Your love's put me at the top of the... cupcake

Months ago I had collected photos of varying cake toppers, any of which would be perfect for us. We thought we had decided on the perfect pair, personalized Mii toppers, but then we saw the price. It was steeper than we had anticipated and we were not comfortable spending that much. We realize they are custom and make a terrific keepsake, but we just couldn't do it. We looked at purchasing an alternative, like birds and bunnies, then I thought why not use what we have around the house?

I collect limited edition, designer toys. Yes, toys. Not like Toys R Us, more like the ones at Urban Outfitters, Kid Robot, and Toki Doki. They aren't meant for play, but for display. They are lighthearted, fun, reflective of our personalities, and since we own them already there's no added expense.

So with two cupcakes, in similar flavor and color to the ones we had chosen, I tested a few out.

Our Marge and Homer "The Simpsons" toys stand at 3 inches and have adorable detail. Marge sank into the icing, but the sprinkles held Homer up. If we were bigger fans of the show, they'd be perfect.

Next up were these Happy Labbits:



They have such personality and whimsy with the mustache and teeth smile. I added my yellow flower ring to mimic my hair flower. Almost perfect, but they're big! Standing at 5 inches we can't place them on top of a cupcake.

This brings us to our cake toppers:


Hello Kitty and Badtz Maru figurines that stand 3 inches and fit on a cupcake perfectly. Their polka dot details are reminiscent of our invites, monograms, and centerpieces. We don't mind that the colors are not our wedding colors because those sunglasses and tie, and the hearts on Hello Kitty are too cute for words. I'm glad we were able to use something we already own.

How did you decide on cake toppers? Did you go for something that was already around the house? How will you display your toppers after the wedding?




Blog title is from lyrics by the Carpenters

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

Those are great. Love Hello Kitty!

Jen said...

Those are great! I love the whole backstory and everything you went through to choose them!

Bee @ BP Wedding said...

Aww those are very cute! And Badtz Maru already has a tie on. He's ready to go! hehe. Here's an idea, you should cut out a tiny piece of white tulle and put it on Hello Kitty's head to look like a veil. I love that you used something you already had. And I also love that you put your ring on that happy labbit to look like your hair flower for the picture. Too cute.